Happy Easter from Agile Physical Therapy!
In March, Agile Physical Therapy donated to help Vestavia Hills High School with a Habitat for Humanity project to provide a great home for a local family !
If you would like to learn more about the organization or volunteer yourself click here.
Did you Know?
Pilates was invented in the 1920's by a man named Joseph Pilates. He was born in Germany in 1883. He was known as a sickly child which led to his pursuit and interest in exercise and athletics. He later became an avid gymnast, diver, and skier and the inventor of what we know today as Pilates. He and his wife Clara immigrated to the US in 1926 where they opened a fitness studio in New York in the same location as the New York City ballet.
If you want to learn more about Joseph and the history of Pilates click here.
Fun Fact: Our Pilates instructor Andrea is trained directly by Romana Kryzanowska who is considered a Pilates protege. Romana learned directly from Joseph and his wife Clara in their New York studio and later became the director of that studio in the 1970's.
The weather is getting warmer and it's the perfect time
to work in the garden. Click here for some tricks and tips on how to prevent and minimize injury while enjoying your garden!
Earth Day Facts
1. The first Earth Day was celebrated on April 22, 1970.
2. Earth Day originated in the US but became recognized worldwide by 1990.
3. On Earth Day 2009, Disney released a documentary film called Earth that followed the migration paths of four animal families.
4. On the very first Earth Day, 20 million people gathered in the streets of America to protest the industrial revolution. An environmental movement was born as a result.
5. Every year on April 22, men, women, and children collect garbage, plant trees, clean up coral reefs, show movies, sign petitions, and plan for a better future for our planet.
6. Gaylord Nelson founded Earth Day while he was working as a US senator.
7. Earth Day was renamed officially by the UN in 2009 as International Mother Earth Day.
8. Some schools and communities celebrate Earth Day for a whole week to expand the time frame that people focus on the earth and how they can preserve it.
9. On Earth Day 2012, more than 100,000 people rode bikes in China to reduce CO2 emissions and save fuel.
10. In an Earth Day celebration in 2011, 28 million trees were planted in Afghanistan by the Earth Day Network.
11. In Panama, 100 endangered species of orchids were planted and maintained to prevent their extinction in honor of Earth Day.
Prep 45 m /Cook 40 m /Ready In 1 h 25 m
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix (ingredents to make cake)
3 3/4 cups flaked coconut
1 (16 ounce) package vanilla frosting
30 small jellybeans
4 red licorice
Heat oven and prepare two 9 inch round baking pans as directed on cake box. Prepare cake batter with as directed on package adding in 1/2 cup of coconut. Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake and cool cake as directed on package.
When cooled, place one whole 9 inch cake layer on serving tray, forming the bunny's head. Cut 2 convex shaped ears from each side of the second layer, place on each side of head to form ears. Use concave shaped piece for the bowtie, place about 1/2 inch below head.
Frost entire bunny covering top and sides of bunny. Pat remaining 3 1/4 cup coconut evenly over top and sides. Decorate the bunny face and bowtie with jellybeans and use the licorice to make whiskers.